5.4.13

Terry Williams Interview


Listen to my personal favorite track from artist Terry Williams as you read the interview, "Greed". 


 

Trillmuzik: Was "Broke As F*ck" Your First Project ?

Teewill: "Something like that. It was my first time recording something with subject matter. I've done tons of random tracks and verses for other musicians though." 

Trillmuzik: How did the name "Broke As F*ck come about?

Teewill: "Life. Along with the fact that we're from the south. That's how we talk. When we don't have much we say "damn im broke". But as far as relating the theme to the music goes, being "broke" is a state of being where you dont have much of anything. That's where i've been before, and that's where i was putting this EP together. It's like when you're broke, you have to be yourself. You cant hide behind material things. That's what i was attempting to do."

Trillmuzik: How long have you been spittin & what age did you notice you could rap?

Teewill: "I've been rapping since i was a little boy man. It's always been about the music. When i was in elementary, it was anything on MTV. Backstreet boys to Mase and Puffy, Nas to Korn. I just appreciated music and rhythms. As I grew older it changed. More BET ya know? I got more into Jay-Z, Maxwell, Floetry. Those were artists i remember seeing on television alot. Earliest age rapping tho? I can remember being 7 or 8 years old when i stole 2Pac's "All Eyes On Me" from Blockbuster. Shit changed my life." 

Trillmuzik: At what age did you figure out rappin is what you wanted to do?

Teewill: "Good question. Maybe 16 or 17. Right when high school was coming to an end, music was at its peak. I was seeing Jigga and Kanye talk like me, and rapped over production that I admired. First time i saw the video "All Falls Down" I felt like i could do it."

Trillmuzik: In my opinion your music would be in the same genre as Casey Veggies would be placed in. Who would you name as some of your influences or people you listen to on the daily?

Teewill: "I listen to so many artists. I like Jay alot, Kanye alot. I listen to Pac still, Biggie, and Outkast too. I think Outkast is the greatest group ever.I don't think it gets better. ODB, RZA, DMX, Nas, Em. I listen to alot of older stuff from time to time too. Sade, Anita Baker, Angela Winbush, Tony Toni Tone, Mary J. Blidge had some great albums too. Maxwell. As far as today's music? I like Drake. Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole, Dom Kennedy. I think Joey Bada$$ is coming along too. Can't forget my nigga boosie." 

Trillmuzik: Would you rather take the underground path or the mainstream scene?

Teewill: "I like the underground. The underground is where respect is earned. It's where you have real listeners and supporters. But i'd be lying if I said it hasn't been a dream to make it big. I pray about that."

Trillmuzik: Would you say you have any studio rituals you do before going in the booth? Maybe some mental preperation from Mary Jane or would you prefer a sober mind? 

Teewill: "I don't really do to much as far as rituals go when i go in the booth. It really just depends on how i feel at the moment. The enviroment matters mosst to me. I like for it to be clean, maybe some close friends around, but nothing to over the top."

Trillmuzik: "Greed" is personally my favorite track off the tape, is there any explanation behind the title?

Teewill: "Greed" seems to be everyone's favortie track. Much love to the dangerous MC's out of Dallas, TX. They put that together for me. It's plenty explanation behind the title. Greed is true. It's about the desire and lust for more. But multiplied by 20. It's a want that exceeds the point of giving a fuck. Sometimes I listen to other artists and it frustrates me. Industry rappers, underground rappers...all of the above. We have to want to change the world."

Trillmuzik: If you could get anybody on the track with you, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

Teewill: "Honestly, I don't know. Ask around for me. No one wants to do a song with me. Makes me kind of sad sometimes, you know? Nah but all bullshit aside...I always had dreams of working with R&B singers from the 90's. I would have jumped on all the remixes. Mariah Carey, Sade, Total, Angela Winbush. It'd be fly to work with Aaliyah. Rappers? Eh, no one in particular. Producers? Timbaland, Dr. Dre, Kanye, RZA... MikeWillMadeIt, Mannie Fresh."

Trillmuzik: Yo this aint no question but you was speaking some real shit on that Red Light Interlude, niggas ain't on game. 

Teewill: "Haha, nah they dont know. My bro Chauncey always tells me that. I appreciate that man."

Trillmuzik: Any closing remarks? S/O's ? Anything you'd like to say about upcoming music or are you still focusing on promoting the EP? 

Teewill: "The EP is still in rotation. Im trying to get that out to everyone. I still have the visuals that i have to get out, but there's always more in store. A visual for "Greed" is on the way, directed by Jor'gio. He's an extremely talented artist. Me and Black Soil, one of my producers from Miami, have a project that we're considering. Me and DJ Chase have a few projects on the way. My man Claude Guevera from New York...he's work with Frank Ocean and numerous other people, he's putting some beats on me, we got some amazing work coming. We're just making more music. Everyday trying to come up with heat. A few features on the table with Sir Thomas for the "No I.D" compilation, T. Scott, whom is a very talented singer out in Arkansas. and of course work with the Yung Stonerz. Im trying to get back home to Texas man. I need to drop something with Juno and Tri$$ out there. Maybe a remix or something. They got the streets on fire. Bobby Sessions is an extreme talent, we've never set anything in stone but we definitely need to record a few records. Me and ANT the MC were suppossed to be getting some tracks in on his last tapeDFWAntics, but timing was off so look for something from us soon. Shout outs? All the people that supports my music, I love ya'll so much. My right hand man DJ Chase, Shawn Cotton and the great people down at Say Cheese records making crazy moves, Glynn Price down at K104 and his Priceless Productions imprint, Blacky Black and Shawn Floss at hear me now radio, and That Loud Purp...all the bloggers that showed me love. Shit, everybody! Let's keep changing the world around us."


S/O to the homie Teewill for rockin with Trillmuzik and blessing us with this EXCLUSIVE interview. Follow him on twitter @teewillo or on IG @teewillo_ . Download or stream his latest EP Broke As F*ck HERE via Bandcamp. 



No comments:

Post a Comment